At the present Hongcheon-gun is made up of 1 Eup and 9 myeons, Seo-myeon, bukbang-myeon, Dong-myeon, Hongcheon-eup, Hwachon-myeon, Duchon-myeon, naechon-myeon, Seoseok-myeon, Nae-myeon and Hongcheon-eup
Our county was called BulRyeokChunHyeon in Goguryeo times
The name was changed in the days of King Gyeongduk of Silla to Nokhyo and became YoungHyeon of Sak-Ju
Afterwards, in year 9 of King Hyeon-Jong (1018), the 8th King of Goryeo, the name was changed to Hongcheon and in the 21st year of King In-Jong (1043), the 17th King, a Gammu (small county office) was installed and the county was also called Hwasan-Hyeon.
During the Chosun dynasty, in the 13th year of King Tae-Jong (1413) our county became Hongjeong-Hyeon and a Hyeon-gam (county office) was installed and on May 26th 1895 (32nd year of King Go-Jong) we became Chuncheon-bu Hongcheon-hyeon by following imperial order 98
Following the execution of imperial order 35 of August 3rd 1896, which enforced a 13 'do' system we became Gangwon-do Hongcheon-gun with jurisdiction of the 9 myeons of Hwachon, Duchon, Naechon, Seoseok, Youngguimi, Gammulak, Geummulsan, Hyeonnae and Bukbang.
Later, Hyeonnae-myeon was changed to Gunnae-myeon and was granted jurisdiction of Taekhak-ri and Gyeorun-ri, which originally belonged to Hwachon-myeon, and Haoan-ri and Changjunpyeong-ri, which originally belonged to Geummulsan-myeon.
In 1917 Geummulsan-myeon was changed to Nam-myeon, Gunnae-myeon to Hongcheon-myeon, Youmguimi-myeon to Dong-myeon and Gammulak-myeon to Seo-myeon.
On May 1st 1935, Bunji-ri of Danwol-myeon, Yangpyeong-gun, Gyeonggi-do was included into Gurup-ri, Seo-myeon, Hongchoen -gun.
Following the liberation of the country on August 15th 1945 the area of Jindong-ri, Inje-gun south of the 28th parallel, parts of Buk-ri, Wondae-ri of Inje-myeon, and the 7 ris of Nam-myeon (Bupyeong, Uron, Gimbu, Shinwol, Chungja, Gabdun, Shinchung) were incorporated to form a new Sinnam-myeon and Nae-myeon, Inje-gun was incorporated to give our county a administrative jurisdiction of 11 myeons.
On October 21st 1954, following the enforcing of law number 350, the 「Laws on the temporary handling of reclaimed areas」, Sinna-myeon was returned to Inje-gun and Nae-myeon remained to give us 10 myeons.
On January 1st, 1963 Hongcheon-myeon was promoted to Eup by law number 1177 and Sammachi-ri of Nam-myeon was incorporated into Hongcheon-eup to turn our county into a 1 eup 9 myeon county.
On July 1st 1973, following the administrative area reformations laid out in presidential order 6542 (announced on March 12th '73) Bukbang-ri and Pungchoen-ri of Dongsan-myeon Chunseong-gun were each included into Bukbang-myeon and Hwachon-myeon of Hongcheon-gun, Myunggae-ri, Seo-myeon, Yangyang-gun was included into Nae-myeon, Hongcheon-gun, and Misan-ri, nae-myeon, Hongcheon-gun was handed over to Inje-gun as was Sangchangbong-ri, Nam-myeon to HoengSeong-gun.